After choosing the best free or discounted tax service, here’s what you’ll need to file your taxes this year as a Veteran or Military Service Member.
Scroll down to find the documents you should have as well as certain tax benefits and exemptions you may qualify for.
Documents You’ll Need to File Your Taxes
Be sure to double check with the tax service provider you will be using, but this is a good general list of what you may need when you go to file:
- Proof of Identification (Photo ID/Military ID)
- Social Security Card (s) for you, spouse, and dependants
- Earning statements (Forms W-2, W-2G, 1099-R; most available on MyPay)
- Your bank account and routing numbers for direct deposit
- A copy of last year’s federal and state returns, if available
- To file taxes electronically on a married-filing-joint tax return, both spouses must be present to sign required forms
- Childcare costs
Find more information on potential Military benefits, exemptions, and exclusions here.